2.3 Physical Facility
Consideration should be given to traffic control when selecting
a location for the Recovery Center. A large search effort will require
hundreds of search volunteers. Suggested public hours of operation
are 8 AM to 7 PM. Note that core group members may need access to
the Recovery Center 24 hours a day.
The Recover Center location should:
- be easily accessible.
- provide ample parking (for media, hundreds of volunteers, horse
& boat trailers, etc.).
- be in close proximity to the responsible law enforcement agency.
- be available for several weeks.
- be on private property (if possible) - this allows easier access
The following physical features should be considered in selecting
- A large office area away from the general public for administrative
functions such as the phone bank and computer operations.
- A public area for news briefings and volunteer sign in.
- Availability of at least two private rooms
- Targeting / Mapping
- Adequate electrical power and outlets.
- Permission to install up to 10 dedicated phone lines (Section
on Phone Lines).
- Ability to control public access.
- Provision of food distribution to the volunteers (Section
on Food Management).
- Location for daily press conferences (Section
on Public Affairs).